Which one should you buy, raw or virgin human hair extensions? There has been a lot of chatter about raw versus virgin hair, making it difficult for hair lovers to choose the best quality. This blog aims to provide you with some helpful information to make it easier to understand.
Raw vs. Virgin Hair Extensions
Let's simplify the definition so you can make an informed decision about the type of hair extensions you would like to use. This blog will provide the correct explanation of raw and virgin hair, their benefits, and what's the point of understanding the difference.
Let's start with defining the words...
Raw is defined as being in or nearly in the natural state: not processed or purified. Whereas, virgin is defined as fresh, unspoiled: not altered by human activity. The definitions are almost identical. When referencing human hair there are differences.
Many hair extensions companies have different definitions of what raw and virgin hair really is. As a consumer it is important for you to be informed on the differences so you can get what you want.
For the purposes of this blog Raw is defined as hair that is not processed by chemicals or steamed. Virgin hair is processed hair by chemicals and or steam. Raw hair textures are straight, natural wave, and rare cases curly. Origins of raw hair are India, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Whereas, virgin hair originates from China and India and are steamed or chemically processed into various textures such as; deep curly, kinky curly, kinky straight, Yaki, loose wave, deep wave, etc. Many retailers offer patterns categorized as Brazilian, Eurasian, Malaysian, Mongolian, Peruvian, to name a few. It is important to note that not all raw and virgin human hair sold in the market are authentic. When buying human hair you want to make sure that is human and does not have fibers or made from animals. Kesini test the quality of their hair to certify that its 100% human hair.
What is Raw Hair?
Raw hair is a 100% unprocessed hair which means that the hair is cut from the donor’s head, washed with shampoo and conditioner, and sewn onto a weft. The following are the characteristics of raw hair extensions:
- No chemical, mechanical, or steam process has been done
- Best quality of human hair extensions
- Natural looking and blends with all hair types
- Appears to be fuller and voluminous
- Durable and long-lasting
- Does not have a uniform wave or curl pattern
- Cuticles are aligned
- Expensive in comparison to virgin hair extensions
- Commonly available in 2 patterns: straight and wavy. However, Indian hair can be found in an undefined curly pattern
- Raw hair tends to look coarse and not uniformed
What is Virgin Hair?
Virgin is hair that has been manipulated in some way to create a uniformed look. The characteristics of 100% virgin hair are listed below:
- Hair is treated with steam to create a more uniformed curl or wave pattern.
- Should not be altered by bleach, perm, dyes, or harsh chemical wash. Some companies use chemicals to achieve certain textures.
- Does not contain synthetic, fibers, or animal hair
- Various patterns are available such as Brazilian, Malaysian, and Mongolian, Peruvian, Eurasian, etc.
- Available patterns on the market include: Body Wave, Deep Curly, Deep Wave, Kinky Curly, Kinky Straight, Loose Wave, Yaki, and Deep Wave.
To Wrap It Up
Both raw and virgin hair extensions are widely used. Which one is best? Quality hair extensions are the best human hair to purchase! However, the ultimate choice is yours and based on the look you are trying to achieve. If you want help on deciding which human hair is best for you, send us a message on our live support chat box or leave a comment below and we'll help you out.